For business owners willing to take an informed, dedicated marketing approach, social media can be a great place to launch a new product.
Not only do 54% of social browsers use social media to conduct product research, the same statistics show that:
- 83% use sites like Instagram to discover new products and services
- 87% take specific action (like making a purchase) after viewing product information
From choosing the right channel, to planning the perfect post, if you’re ready to go to market on social media, here are 4 tips to help you get started.
Tip #1. Pick the right platform
Choosing the right social media platform is essential for building awareness around your product and winning new business.
To meet your product marketing goals, you’ll need to:
- Know who your target audience is
- Identify the best match between what you’re selling and the platform with the most likely buyers
- Make sure the language and tone of your content speaks to the audience your product is geared to
Don’t be afraid to launch on multiple social media platforms—especially if your product meets the needs of different types of customers. Just be sure you tailor your message accordingly.
If you’re really not sure where to start, a good rule of thumb is: Facebook and LinkedIn for B2B products, Facebook and Instagram for B2C—and TikTok for potentially building a large following, quickly, by posting as often as possible.
Tip #2. Use content that strikes the right balance
To get people paying attention and talking about your product, aim for content that strikes a positive emotional chord. You’ll get better results, meanwhile, if you also follow marketing best practices and explain exactly how your offering will solve a specific problem for prospective buyers.
Tip #3. Build trust with your audience
TikTok tactics notwithstanding, you’ll want to take care not to overwhelm your audience or spread yourself too thin when marketing your product on social media.
Ideally, you should:
- Start small and build up gradually in terms of brand or product exposure
- Limit scheduled posts to just one or two select social media channels
- Engage with prospective customers ahead of your launch by interacting with the communities on your platforms of choice
While the idea is to generate interest in your product, pre-launch, by creating a certain level of hype, people will potentially be more attracted to your offering if you engage them in a relationship first.
Tip #4. Be proactive about promoting your product
The more proactive you are about getting eyes on your product, the more successful your launch is likely to be.
Here are 3 ways to increase visibility—and credibility—around what you’re selling:
- Invite your social media audience to interact with and share your content
- Offer an irresistible giveaway, and have your audience tag people they know in the post announcing your contest
- Ask recognized businesses or influencers to both try and review your product—then include their endorsements in your social media campaign
Finally, to make the most of your product launch, never overlook the importance of the landing page you direct your social media audience to.
With an optimized landing page—one specifically designed to increase conversions—you can provide prospective clients with additional details about your offering, while encouraging them to visit your blog, sign up for your emails or, better still, purchase your product immediately.